The world is now in great need of inclusivity and equality to ensure that individuals with disabilities are not left behind. In this case, private grants are considered a source of hope. These act as catalysts for positive change in the lives of disabled people. In general, these grants are offered by philanthropic organizations and generous benefactors. In this article, we provide a comprehensive list of private grants for individuals with disabilities. These serve as a powerful means to empower people with disabilities.
What Are The Best Private Grants for Individuals with Disabilities?
1. Cindy Donald Dreams of Recovery Foundation
The Dreams of Recovery Foundation (DOR) was established in 2008. This foundation is led by Cindy Donald and is registered as a nonprofit organization under Act 501(c). Its commitment is to provide essential financial support to individuals struggling with Spinal Cord Injuries (SCI) and Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI).
The foundation supports such patients’ activity-based therapy and availing of therapeutic equipment. We would like to inform you that the respective insurance coverage often does not cover these critical resources.
To provide financial assistance, the organization collects funding from a wide variety of sources, such as individual benefactors, corporate partners, and charitable foundations. In 2018, it expanded its service to support SCI/ABI Therapy centers like Next Step Atlanta, Next Step Orlando, etc.
- Paralysis due to Spinal Cord Injuries.
- Paralysis due to Traumatic Brain Injuries.
- Applicable to US citizens.
How to Apply
- To apply for a private grant from Cindy Donald Dreams of Recovery Foundation, you have to send an email to [email protected].
- You can also visit the office: The Cindy Donald Dreams of Recovery Foundation, Inc. 2230 Towne Lake Parkway Bldg 200, Suite 110, Woodstock, Georgia 30189.
2. Kelly Brush Foundation
The Kelly Brush Foundation (KBF) is a passionate advocate for turning dreams for disabled people into tangible realities. This organization works for people who are struggling for spinal cord injury survivors.
The assistance service includes providing grants to empower individuals to get the necessary equipment for maintaining a connection with the outside world.
Most importantly, the organization works at the root level not only to try to support the equipment expenses but also to develop a community of people with similar issues so that they do not feel alone.
- Paralysis caused by spinal cord injury. And facing financial challenges to get proper treatment.
How to Apply
- Go to the official website: https://kellybrushfoundation.org/.
- Register your profile.
- Create an account by providing details like name, age, address, etc.
- Now, upload all the required documents, like doctor’s recommendations, prescriptions, insurance details, etc., on the designated option of the site.
- We suggest you do not go for the email option and send the documents as attachments; it won’t work that way.
3. Friends of Disabled Adults and Children
By having a robust network of dedicated volunteers and valued partners, FODAC is considered one of the prominent private grants for individuals with disabilities. The motto of this organization is to enhance the overall quality of life for adults and children with disabilities.
To elaborate on the service, this grant service allocates disabled people with free or affordable wheelchairs, a wide range of home medical equipment (HME), vehicle and home modifications, and many more.
Friends of Disabled Adults and Children is a non-profit organization that looks forward to establishing the team as a close-knit family. And they put their best efforts into bringing comfort, peace, and joy to those struggling human beings. Most importantly, FODAC also runs a program to recycle home medical equipment and assistive technology.
Its annual contribution is over $10 million in equipment and services to individuals with disabilities. This support is designated for disabled people to pursue education, maintain employment, etc.
- Financial Help for Disabled Veterans with disabilities, housing problems, life insurance mortgage problems, etc.
- Financial Help for Disabled Children for education, clothing, tax deductions, scholarships, medical assistance, etc.
- Grant for disabled people for house rent, education, medical, job training, etc.
How to Apply
- Call at 770-491-9014 (press 2) to book an appointment.
- Attend the given time and pay a registration fee of $25.
- Consult the representative about the requirements and follow the guidelines and procedures.
- The equipment or wheelchair will be delivered to doorstep free of charge if you live in a city area.
4. I Got Legs Foundation
I GOT LEGS is a passionate nonprofit organization that acts under 501c3. Its mission is to help and empower athletes who have faced paralysis. And to do so, it provides financial support for their rediscovery of the joy.
Here, the organization works on cutting-edge exoskeleton technology and associated groundbreaking research.
Its primary objective is to transform Exoskeleton Racing into a formally organized adaptive sport, so that the struggling athletes can become a part of prestigious events like the Paralympics and collegiate competitions.
Eligibility to Get the Grant
- Athletes with paralysis.
How to Apply
- Go to the “programs” section of the official website: https://www.igotlegs.org/survival-of-the-fittest-fund
- Fill in all the required details in the form at the bottom portion of the page.
- Keep follow-up the application.
5. Wheels of Happiness
The Wheels of Happiness Foundation’s journey began in 2011. It is registered as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. There is a fascinating story behind the ignition of this organization. When its founder, Vincenzo Piscopo, received a spinal cord injury during his suffering period, he met Father Thomas, a Ugandan priest.
He also faced a similar issue and struggled a lot due to zero access to proper post-injury care. It was an awakening call; Piscopo realized that countless people are living miserable lives due to spinal cord injuries. Hence, Vincenzo, alongside his wife Gabriela, established the “Wheels of Happiness Foundation.”
This foundation provides aid to survivors of spinal cord injuries and individuals with motor disabilities in disadvantaged communities worldwide, including the United States.
WOH also supplies essential mobility equipment and medical resources, offers educational scholarships, funds necessary surgeries, and provides crucial psychological support. Corporate entities and individuals fund the Wheels of Happiness Foundation’s operation, as well as proceeds from special events.
- People are suffering from spinal cord injury.
- Little or zero access to post-injury care.
- Paralyzed people are struggling to get medical supplies and equipment.
- Patients with spinal cord injuries are not getting psychological support.
How to Apply
- Go to this webpage of Wheels of Happiness: https://wheelsofhappiness.org/contact/#help.
- Register your account and tell everything about your situation. They will contact you.
6. The Assistance Fund (TAF)
The Assistance Fund (TAF) is an independent charitable organization. It is devoted to assisting patients and their families who cannot base the expenses of any disabled family member.
To assist in this process, TAF reduces the financial strain on the family by offering support for copayments, coinsurance, deductibles, and various health-related costs.
While supporting people with disabilities, it also assists people in getting FDA-approved treatments corresponding to the named disease. After its initiation in 2009, TAF has supported 180,000 individuals with physical problems.
- USA citizen.
- No financial ability to deal with disability-related treatment.
How to Apply
- Go to this web link: https://tafcares.org/patients/eligibility/Fill out the form.
- Follow up with the authorities about the application’s progress.
7. Selma Schimmel Vital Grant
Selma Schimmel’s Vital Grant mainly deals with minority groups. It not only supports people with disabilities but also puts their best efforts into addressing the root causes of the Health and healthcare disparities in terms of treatment of disabled people. At the same time, it provides financial, legal, and moral support for disabled people from minority groups.
- Disability due to cancer,
- Disability for having other life-threatening diseases.
How to Apply
- To get support from this organization, you have to fill out the form at https://www.myvitalconnection.org/.
- You can also visit their office to get more information and apply for support. The address is Contact: Dave Duplay
- Email: [email protected]
- Office: 800-518-2354
- Address: Vital Options International, 203 Main Street No 179, Flemington, NJ 08822
8. Bryon Riesch Paralysis Foundation
Within the paralysis community, BRPF is actively engaged in offering charitable grants. Their grants are designated to enhance the quality of life of those who are battling paralysis.
Additionally, the foundation grants scholarships to individuals dealing with paralysis. And even families with a parent grappling with a neurological disorder can avail of the grants. The primary objective of the Bryon Riesch Paralysis Foundation (BRPF) is to seek a remedy for paralysis.
To do so, the organization financially supports cutting-edge medical research. Most amazingly, it offers aid to individuals dealing with neurological disorders.
- Spinal cord injury
- Spinal cord-related disorder
- Neurological disorder
- No age restriction.
- Proof of financial inability to get treatment.
How to Apply
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- Fill out the application form.
- Submit the form along with all the documents.
- Contact: The Bryon Riesch Paralysis Foundation – N14 W23900 Stone Ridge Dr. Waukesha, WI 53188 Phone: (262) 547-2083, Email Address: [email protected]
9. High Fives Nonprofit Foundation
This nonprofit organization mainly focuses on assisting athletes who are suffering from physical disabilities.
High Fives’ core mission is to prevent life-changing injuries and extend support and inspiration to the sports persons who have encountered these critical injuries.
High Fives started in 2009, and it is registered under the 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization category. Till now, High Fives has aided numerous injured athletes and Veterans in their journey back to their cherished pursuits.
- Citizens of the USA and Canada.
- The accident/injury does not need to have occurred in the United States or Canada.
- Effective from January 1, 2014, applicants must have current and up-to-date health care coverage under the U.S. Government’s Affordable Health Care Act.
How to Apply
- Document holding details about the accident, including date, time, place, etc.
- The goal for the recovery from the disabling condition.
- An approximate cost estimation.
- With all the documents, the application needs to be submitted online between July 1 and September 1 at https://highfivesfoundation.org/grant–application/.
10. Ian Burkhart Foundation
The Ian Burkhart Foundation was founded to offer assistance to individuals who have spinal cord injuries. This organization’s commitment is to work on the initial trauma of the victim.
The respective volunteers try their best to import changes in the lives of disabled people by making them capable of fitting into the ongoing journey of life towards rebuilding their lives.
Most importantly, the organization also supports the victim’s family in coping with the situation.
The funds mobilized by the Ian Burkhart Foundation are channelled into supporting a range of vital programs related to uplifting the lives of disabled and disadvantaged people.
- Must have a spinal cord injury.
- It can prove financial inability to take the treatments.
How to Apply
With all the documents, an email needs to be sent to [email protected].,
The full form of SCORE is Spinal Cord Opportunities for Rehabilitation Endowment. Certainly, it is one of the best private grants for individuals with disabilities. It operates as a nonprofit entity. Its core mission is to provide modest financial grants to individuals who have become paralyzed while engaging in sports or recreational activities.
In general, after such accidents, the patient must receive financial assistance from the insurance company. But in actuality, it is often a nightmare. In this way, SCORE comes forward to help those people who are struggling with disabilities.
The provided funds assist the patient in acquiring items or services that enhance the recipient’s quality of life. SCORE functions with the backing of Community Partners, a renowned organization experienced in managing nonprofit funds.
- Have spinal cord injuries.
- Became paralyzed while participating in sports or athletic recreation.
- Poor financial condition.
How to Apply
- Contact through email: [email protected]
- Visit the physical office: SCORE, 30 Monument Square, Suite 220, Concord, MA 01742
Private grants for individuals with disabilities play a crucial role in enhancing the lives of those facing unique challenges. We hope our comprehensive list of such organizations will help you enormously get a perfect funding opportunity. While private grants undoubtedly make a positive impact, it’s important to remember that using the received funds and facilities are the receiver’s and respective families’ most important responsibilities.